Total Pageviews

Monday 13 April 2015

Ceredigion Election

#autism + politics

As someone recently diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum scale, I find it difficult to not only communicate or articulate my thoughts to the outside world, but to understand other peoples words or actions as well.
The bitter events which have transpired over the past few days have left a very sour taste in my mouth.

This local election in Ceredigion has seen some underhanded tactics to secure potential votes. I was singled out on twitter having my tweets screen shot and reposted labelling me with having a a “shameful attitude” towards child abuse.
I was disgusted at this remark. Having personal experience of the matter. I will no longer be ashamed of my past. My “shameful attitude” was due to me not knowing who a political paedophile was even though they were active both politically and otherwise before I was born.
I admitted my ignorance on the matter. I tried to explain my point of view, where by the constant dragging up of historic cases can pose significant danger to vulnerable people.
In the post Saville age, where historic cases dominate the media, it's hard for many people to cope.
It has been positive for a lot of individuals, myself included. But I worry for the people who don't have the strength to open up about their experiences. The people who have repressed the traumatic events for so long, being constantly reminded of their emotional turmoil as it's bombarded at them on a daily basis through TV, newspapers, and social networks.
To have this stuff dragged up for political agenda is not okay. I opened up publicly, after hearing my response, the person who did this apologised. Then blocked me before giving me opportunity to accept their apology. For me with my autism, blocking on twitter is a bit of a “trigger” issue for me. Each tweet is designed to communicate with an open world. Unless your tweets are set to private. To single someone out and block them is pointless, as you can simply view on any alternate account. Twitter is designed to be a public forum. I was just going to accept their apology and ask them to remove the tweet labelling me as having shameful attitude towards child abuse. But they blocked me. So I snapped, went way over the top. Had their twitter account flooded with the same tweet. All from separate accounts, demonstrating how redundant blocking on twitter really is. I couldn't understand why someone would apologize and than block me.
Mike Parker the Plaid candidate follows this account on twitter. He has 2406 followers and follows 1206 people. I sent him a facebook msg last night which was read then marked as unread. 


If Mike Parker is to win the election and become my local representative, then I would be one of his constituents. I have trouble trying to express myself, twitter can compound the issue with the short character limitation.
After the election, if Mike Parker wins, will he continue to ignore his constituents, like myself because he doesn’t like or understand them. 1 out of every 100 people have a form of autism and have difficulties in social situations. Causing varying degrees of anxiety. When people hear of the 1% they think of bankers, people with money, the rich and privileged. But when you consider that figure of autism, 1 in every 100. That is the 1% that gets forgotten about.


Is the following still Plaid's position on autism as this was published 3 years ago and I know from personal experience that accessing support services in the local area is almost impossible. It took about 2 years if not more to get my formal diagnosis though, and that was only done with the epic support of Mark Williams and his staff.
On Autism Awareness Day (2nd of April 2012), Plaid Cymru has reiterated its commitment to supporting people with autism. Around one in every hundred people has autism in Wales, and this often misunderstood condition can hinder access to support.
Plaid Cymru’s Health spokesperson Elin Jones said:
Autism affects hundreds of people in Wales. Often it is misunderstood, undiagnosed, and can leave those with the condition and their loved ones struggling to cope. When Plaid Cymru was in government, we implemented a number of initiatives to support those who have the condition such as establishing a support website, raising awareness and training for advocacy personnel, and support targeted at adults who have autism.
Plaid Cymru believes that while early diagnosis and early intervention are hugely important, much can be done to support children and adults who have autism such as supporting them into employment and tackling discrimination. We will continue to call on governments at all level to help those with autism harness their talents and skills and be full members of society.





I am utterly shocked and dismayed at the cavalier attitudes of __________ and company. For example this back and forth relating to someone with PTSD. Someone using the name Dilys Davies using dangerous terminology and raising doubts as to whether the person suffers from PTSD. As she has treated many people for PTSD in her carer. I would be interested to know what her job title actually is. To be such an expert that she could diagnose/assess people via twitter. PTSD is a complex condition that affects people in varying ways. Just like all mental health conditions. Using the term TROLL can be dangerous. For prime example: A woman who "trolled" Madeleine McCann's family on Twitter killed herself days after she was challenged by reporters, an inquest concluded.
Brenda Leyland, 63, from Leicestershire, was found dead after she was confronted by Martin Brunt from Sky News over the abuse.
Perceptions on social media have contributed to a number of suicides, self harm. Because people aren't mindful of what they are saying, but most importantly whom they are saying it too. There is such a rancid stigma when it comes to mental health issues,

The BBC Panorama Special Suicide in the family was a huge wake up call. 24% of deaths for men aged 18-24 is suicide. That is almost 1 in 4 children who will grow up to end their own lives. In men over 40 suicide is a bigger killer then cancer. I have read the Plaid manifesto with only 2 little burbs on Mental Health on page 19. this is a far bigger issue and needs much more attention. Mental Health does not discriminate between, class, race, religion or political affiliation, and can effect anyone at any time for any number of reasons. ___________ and co complain about people not being genuine and open on twitter, yet hide their own names and faces. That makes them hypocrites and cowards, and I will expose this hypocrisy at every turn

My Reply From Mike Parker whom is perfectly reasonable. Hopes that we can both resolve it. Start by being much more mindful of mental health issues.
  • Mike Parker


    Hi Jamie, thanks for your message. I'm really sorry for all that's happened, it sounds like you are a really strong person to be getting through all that has happened. As for the twitter blocking, I agree that it sounds as though a misunderstanding has gone on, I hope you both can resolve it. And yes, post election, whoever wins, let's hope that they get on with the job and get to making this country a fairer place to live. Thanks again, and all the best.
  • Jamie Matthew Dearden
    Jamie Matthew Dearden


    No worries, cheers for getting back to me. Yes it was a misunderstanding that blew out of portion. People who think they can say what ever they like behind a veil of anonymity on social networks. People who are to scared to put their own name and face behind their opinions. This person spouted political rhetoric assuming they were beyond reproach. It's incidents like this and the scandal you experienced yourself last week which puts people off getting involved in politics. Only 65.1% of people turned out to vote in the last election, that still leaves over 1/3 of population who don't care or are uninterested. I wanted to go an volunteer in the election this week, as after my Nan died, I was suddenly out of a job with no qualifications or references. I wanted to get some fresh work experience and push myself out of my comfort zone to socialize with people. Build my confidence back up, so I can re-enter the working world. But because of all this, the child abuse thing, my autistic public rant/meltdown, I felt I would just upset or disrupt things so have just shied away. I am very worried about mental health services in the local area, not only for myself but for all vulnerable people. If their are 75,900 people in Ceredigion, and 1 out of every 100 has autism then their are roughly 759 people in Ceredigion who are on the autistic spectrum scale. These are people that need adequate support services put in place. Also with suicides being such a problem, stats for young man soar so high you would be forgiven for mistaking it for a pandemic. 24% of deaths in men aged 18-24 is suicide, that’s almost 1 in every 4 young boys who will grow up to end their lives tragically young, unless something can be done to change it. Worryingly according to an Oncologist the biggest killer of men his age is suicide not cancer. If suicide is claiming and effecting this many lives, shouldn't more be done to combat it. I would love to know what plans Plaid have to improve services in the area. I know from expierence that Ceredigion is a problem zone for accessing any kind of mental health support services.





6 comments:

  1. I blocked you as a reaction to your relentless tweets. To counter this, you created several new accounts for the sole purpose of harassing me, your messages becoming increasingly aggressive.

    I apologised for upsetting you, an apology which you rejected. I also expressed the fact that I am so sorry that you have lived through some clearly awful experiences. You also rejected my 'pity' as you called it.

    You have done this while paying no regard to the fact that those to whom you tweet have libelled Mike Parker and have even gone so far as to discuss physical violence against him. I suspect that you are unaware of the bigger picture here but I don't feel that it's my place to explain it to you and I have no intention of doing so.

    You need to understand that there has been and continues to be a high level of disinterest in the abuse that children have suffered at the hands of prominent monsters, none more so than at the hands of Cyril Smith, a very high profile LD sadist whose name has made headlines because of his actions. I find it difficult to believe that people are not aware of who he is. As one and in recent weeks Lim Dem voters have rejected what he did in favour of criticising good people. In fact, their general response has been that this is all much ado about nothing. My tweet to you came off the back of my disgust at the tweets which I had read.

    As a final point of note, I am not Rhydian Fitter. The fact that we coincidentally share the same avatar photo is proof of nothing. I have forwarded this blog post to him and have strongly advised him, given your evident anger issues, that he protect himself and his reputation against you because, as you have shown me, there appears to be no end to your desire to be heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so your not Rhydian? Care to put a real name to your opinnion? It was more then just the same profile picture. How about the screen shot of @jinawild on Rhydian's timeline. You find it hard to believe that someone (myself) never heard of Cyril Smith. I was honest about my ignorance of the issue. I am 100% honest and transparent. I use my real name, real face, don't hide what I say. Yes I created multiable accounts, but only to illustrate a point. Not to harrass. thus again highlighting your ignorance of mental health conditions.

      Delete
    2. People with autism can react in differnt/bizare/unconventional ways. I am sorry for flooding you, it was not the right thing to do. I acknowledge that. But again I refer you to the link I had already provided you which highlights a number of the ways people with autism have diffculties. Autism-guide-for-criminal-justice-professionals- http://www.autism.org.uk/working-with/criminal-justice/autism-a-guide-for-criminal-justice-professionals.aspx

      Delete
    3. Hi Jamie, this blog has recently been brought to my attention. I'm afraid I am not the person you think I am, in fact I hadn't even seen this disagreement until now. I'd really appreciate it if you could take my name out of the article since I had no part in your disagreement on twitter. Thanks.

      All the best,
      Rhydian

      P.S. I was the Plaid candidate down in Swansea a few months ago but I quite dramatically lost the election haha.

      Cheers for now!

      Delete
    4. If I am mistaken I do sincerely apologize. Occam's razor seem to point directly to yourself. I have nothing but your word to go on saying that you are not the person behind the @jinawild-@mamgwylt twitter account. Aside from the question of identity I have established some very valid points and concerns in this blog. Twitter/social networks in general can be a very volatile environment even more so for the great number of people who suffer with mental health issues. With the above mentioned accounts stance saying Lib Debs scared of discussing Child Sex Abuse. I will openly debate on this issue using any format, in person, or direct via live video feed. The person in question behind this account, said they felt threatened by me. Which is a clear misconception, that assumption in itself is insulting, demeaning and demoralizing. Not all people who suffer from mental health conditions are violent. It's even less common with Autism specifically.
      If the person behind this account insists that child sex abuse should be topic of debate than please encourage them to step forward and assert their views in an open fair debate on the issue.
      If they are not comfortable conducting the debate, they can nominate a representative. I don't mind. Just illustrating that not all Lib Debs are scared of talking about child sex abuse. Breaking down barriers is the 1st step towards establishing a better society. I am not anti plaid by the way. As you can see from my comment http://bronglais.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/ceredigions-mp-representing-ceredigion.html

      I will remove your name and images from blog, as a gesture of good will. There is a serious lack of commitment on Plaids part to improve mental health services. The manifesto only having those 2 short little blurbs barely longer then 2 single tweets is underestimating the scale of a problem which is only getting worse. We need to promote the mental and emotional well-being for all.

      Delete
    5. If I am mistaken I do sincerely apologize. Occam's razor seem to point directly to yourself. I have nothing but your word to go on saying that you are not the person behind the @jinawild-@mamgwylt twitter account. Aside from the question of identity I have established some very valid points and concerns in this blog. Twitter/social networks in general can be a very volatile environment even more so for the great number of people who suffer with mental health issues. With the above mentioned accounts stance saying Lib Debs scared of discussing Child Sex Abuse. I will openly debate on this issue using any format, in person, or direct via live video feed. The person in question behind this account, said they felt threatened by me. Which is a clear misconception, that assumption in itself is insulting, demeaning and demoralizing. Not all people who suffer from mental health conditions are violent. It's even less common with Autism specifically.
      If the person behind this account insists that child sex abuse should be topic of debate than please encourage them to step forward and assert their views in an open fair debate on the issue.
      If they are not comfortable conducting the debate, they can nominate a representative. I don't mind. Just illustrating that not all Lib Debs are scared of talking about child sex abuse. Breaking down barriers is the 1st step towards establishing a better society. I am not anti plaid by the way. As you can see from my comment http://bronglais.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/ceredigions-mp-representing-ceredigion.html

      I will remove your name and images from blog, as a gesture of good will. There is a serious lack of commitment on Plaids part to improve mental health services. The manifesto only having those 2 short little blurbs barely longer then 2 single tweets is underestimating the scale of a problem which is only getting worse. We need to promote the mental and emotional well-being for all.

      Delete